Friday, February 26, 2010

Stepping into "big girl world"

Bless her heart...Caroline has no clue really that her little world will soon be turned upside down. We are starting this weekend to get her big girl room ready. We've been looking for bedding and thinking of paint colors. I had originally wanted to get her some purple bedding...she likes purple and almost always chooses it over pink when given the choice. With the help of some friends, (after a pathetic facebook plea about how frustrated I was) I did locate some purple bedding that was adorable. However...we are not going to use it. A good friend here in town offered to let me look at the duvet covers she still had from her girls first big girl rooms and I, being a bit frugal (ok...cheap) quickly took her up on it. Both sets were ADORABLE, but we fell in love with one. I say we because, seriously, all 3 of it love it so much. I offered this friend some money, but she graciously turned me down. We're going to use the same comforter that has been on the bed instead of buying a down. I like the idea of using an older comforter that is machine washable as we go through potty training. The duvet cover is also machine washable, so I'm happy abotu that!

One of the things that make this such a fantastic situation is that the duvet was handmade by a friend of my friend's, making it somewhat unique. I LOVE that. I like that it hasn't been mass marketed and can be found in 1 out of 4 girls rooms in the city. We have a lot of ideas and plans for the room, and we are hopefully going to have it all done by the end of March. That's our goal...putting out in blogger land will give me some accountablility. We'll see...somehow, home projects around here never quite go as planned. :) I am not going to give details of the room...I'm already excited about posting pics when we're finished!

The very first step of Project Big Girl Room was removing the foam slanted mattress from the bed. I had it on the bed for my mother, who needs to be slightly elevated when she sleeps. She lives here now and is no longer sleeping in that bed, so Dad come over and picked it up. While awaiting him though...it became a slide for Caroline.







Courtney's Tip for the Day:
If you change your phone number or address...call and let your health care professionals know so they can update your file. We failed to do this and drove 3 hours to Children's Hospital for a checkup for Caroline...only to find out our doctor was called away and we were rescheduled for the following week. They called Aaron's old cell number...we missed out on another event because we were planning to be there. Hindsight is 20/20...

3 comments:

  1. Oh I hate that about driving so far and not getting to see the doctor! That's so frustrating! But, I can't wait to see Caroline's new room! So fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://designdazzle.blogspot.com/

    you need to check out this website--TONS of cute ideas for nurseries and rooms. i looked at it for way too long. enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a tease! I can't wait to see the duvet cover. I'm sure if you love it, I will too! Good luck with the transition!

    ReplyDelete