Friday, January 8, 2010

Contentment

Resolutions.

All around us right now are people asking about resolutions and making resolutions of their own. I've never been someone who makes resolutions much...mostly because I rarely keep them. I finally told myself that what I needed to resolve to do was spend each year growing closer to God, striving to be a godly wife and mother, and loving those around me. Resolving to do those things...each year, was better than making a bold statement about something I was going to change. Not that I have anything against resolutions, I'm just not good at keeping them. However, last year I realized something that needed changing in my life and it was going to take real effort to change it. So, I did resolve to....send birthday cards out to all the members of our immediate family. (parents, siblings, nieces and nephews) I have always been TERRIBLE about sending cards. So, last year I really made an effort to get cards out on time. I think 2 of them were a day or two after the actual birthday...but I still counted them. :) I felt good sending them, and I was so glad our loved ones knew we were thinking of them on their special day.



Aaron and I have been discussing this upcoming year. Making our budget, thinking about things that need precedence and things that can be put on a back burner. We've always had in our minds that we wouldn't stay in our current house for more than 4 or 5 years. We've been here for 3, and we had a long talk the other night about moving. While I'm not going to say that we'll never move, I think we've decided to stay here indefinitely for now. We've been so focused on what we don't have, we haven't spent time utilizing the home we do have. So, we've dubbed this year our "Year of Contentment." We're going to make a real effort to settle in even more into our home. We hope to clean out and give to those less fortunate than we are. We want to open our home to friends and family and enjoy each and every day the Lord makes.



I hope you'll bear with me as I occasionally blog about our goal of being content with what we have and living each day to rejoice in the Lord.

3 comments:

  1. Such good thoughts, Courtney! We too have struggled with that concept. May you experience rich blessings this year and your home be full of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful resolution! May I copy? :)

    I admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a great example. I need to do ALL of what you said.
    I love those pics of Caroline!
    Miss u!

    ReplyDelete