Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Life Well Spent



As I'm typing, my children are "playing" together in Landon's room. Caroline pulled her pink wagon full of blocks in there and while he lays on the floor, she's building a tower up around him. I love that she loves to be with him. She was playing upstairs a bit ago while I was feeding him downstairs. I coughed twice and both times heard her little voice, "Are you ok?" I love how she loves me and looks after ME. When he cries, she checks on him. I had to run get something and left them in the room for a moment and he cried. I heard her telling him, "It's ok Landon, don't be afraid." PRECIOUS.



Life is fun and tiring, and while I love every minute, I have to say, it's hard. I haven't had any time for myself, which I think will continue for the next, oh, 18 years or so. I'm praying that I will always cherish the times I have with my children, but there are times I am selfish and just want to sleep or eat without noise. Without crying. Without whining. Without someone needing to go potty the moment I pour myself some tea. I pray for love and patience.



We waited the recommended 4 weeks, but Landon now has a paci. It's nice, but not the miracle worker I had hoped it would be. We haven't given him a bottle yet of expressed milk, but I think that will be coming this week. He'll be 6 weeks on Wednesday and I think it's safe to do so now. I need help with the nightime feedings. He still wakes every 2 1/2-3 hours and it's taking a toll on me. Aaron is happy and more than willing to help, so we're going to try it. I hope it works! Having help with one feeding will be joyous!



I hope this post has not come off as me complaining. I do not mean it that way at all. In addition to friends, grandparents, great-grandmother, aunts, uncles, and cousins read this and they like to know all the ends and outs of our life. Even the bad parts. This way, I only have to say it all once and then we can chat about it later over the phone without having to go into everything all over again. I also find it somewhat cathargic to get it all out there. I always kept diaries when I was growing up and this has become a sort of diary for me.



My sweet husband made coffee for me this morning. I was overjoyed when I smelled it brewing. Aaron is so thoughful in many, many ways, but this isn't something he does on a regular basis. I was so touched by the gesture.



At night Landon is still in our room, but for naps this week, I'm trying him out in his crib. I think Caroline and I are keeping him awake in our room. Our daily life revolves around the kitchen, living room, and bathroom, all which are close to our bedroom. I'm hoping him being a little farther from all the hustle and bustle will help him rest. He definitely gets overtired easily.



Right now we're using a sound machine for white noise while Landon sleeps. Caroline just uses a fan, and we might end up going that route with him too, but right now he's liking the sound machine. The one we have will only go for up to 60 minutes at a time before cutting off. We'd like one that will go constantly. Anyone have one they love that you could recommend?

3 comments:

  1. Court - I love the thought of Caroline building blocks up around Landon...what a big sister. And she takes such good care of you. What a doll!!!
    I say go for the paci and go for the bottle. In MY OPINION neither will hurt Landon, but hopefully give you the "quick" break you need and deserve.
    Landon looks so much like Caroline to me in that picture...what do you think?
    I would try a humidifer. Not only is it good for them but would give you the continuous noise you're looking for. Logan has been sleeping with once since he was a baby and still does now. We even take it on trips with us. I think it has helped soooo much with allergies and colds. In MY OPINION I would go with a humidifier over a sound machine.
    We miss you guys and are counting down the days for your visit.
    Hugs and kisses to those sweet babies.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around 9 weeks we started loosely following "Baby Wise" and Annalise started sleeping 5 hours a night almost immediately. I think we've talked about it before. Didn't you do that with Caroline? Anyway, that is only a few weeks away - maybe you could try it with Landon and get that much needed sleep. Everything is harder when you are sleep deprived. You and Aaron are doing a great job as parents of two little ones! Just a little longer and I think you ALL will be sleeping through the night. :) Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved reading this post! I don't think you are complaining at all. It IS hard! With the birth of each of our children I recall moments of tears and a panicky fear in my heart, wondering WHAT HAVE WE DONE??? Will I ever have my life back? Will I ever use the bathroom by myself? Will I ever sleep through the night again? Will someone ever stop needing me EVERY SECOND OF THE DAY???!!! And it does get better. And God is gracious. And at my breaking points, He sent encouragement and help - through a phone call or a note or the sturdy arms of my husband. Hang in there. These days are hard and you are doing a wonderful job! I will be praying that he takes well to the bottle at night. Those extra hours of sleep are life changing!

    Hang in there. You're doing great! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete