It's Landon's second birthday this week. It's so hard to believe that it's already been two years. My pregnancy with him was both wonderful and difficult, and I wish I had stopped to savor the moments more.
It's been a while now, but sometime in this year we got his haircut for the first time. He has since had another cut, and boy does that boy have some locks!
The decision to finally get his haircut was made for us when in the same week two different people thought he was a girl. After that his daddy said it was absolutely time to get his haircut. So our sweet friend Deborah cut his hair for us. She also did Caroline's first haircut. We love how personal it is for a good friend to be such an important part of this milestone.

He is growing up too fast. I know how cliche that is to say, but it is so true! I was looking at him today before his nap and I just wanted him little again. Throw in that Caroline will be going off to preschool this fall and I'm a bit emotional about my kiddos right now. Every once in a while he'll still let me cuddle with him and rock him. Most of the time he is all boy and all about trucks, dirt, sports,questions, and rough housing, but sometimes I'm still able to catch him in a moment of weariness and he'll cuddle. I savor these moments because when I look into his eyes and answer his favorite question, "What's that sound?" I see the boy in him. The baby is almost gone. Only the slight chub in his cheeks and thighs still shows there was ever a baby there at all. He is a boy.

I like to tease Caroline and tell her I don't want her to grow up. I go on and on about her staying four forever and how she can live with me and be my little girl always. She loves this game. She'll laugh and then say, "Mommy! God made us so we'll grow up. I can't stay little forever." I am teasing her and I know she will grow up and I pray about that often. I love to hear her explanation about God's plan for human life.
This morning we were having this discussion and in addition to her reminder to me that God made us to grow up, she added, "Mommy what about Landon? When I'm off at school you'll still have him. You like him." Yes sweet Caroline, I do like Landon a lot. But that doesn't change the pang in my heart that you're growing up. The sweet moments of your childhood will grow fewer and farther between.
For now though, I will love my children deeply and fully. I will continue to pray for them and their future spouse. I will laugh with them and discipline them, and hopefully just let them be little. For a little while longer.
Love his sweet hair! My daughter's has the same kind of curls and they are so hard to cut!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I agree it is so hard to cut those girls! Keeping his masculinity seemed important to his daddy though....:) Luckily, they grew back once so hopefully I'll see them again.
Delete