Aaron and I both grew up getting a lot of gifts for Christmas. I do not want to leave anyone with the impression that our parents spoiled us, or gave in to us, or just gave us everything we wanted...but, we both got more than we ever needed or probably even wanted for Christmas. We try and live on a budget, but aside from that even, we talked about holiday spending in our family before Caroline was born. We were both in agreement that we wanted to give her gifts and enjoy the giving part of the season, but we also wanted the holiday to be about more than gifts. We have some plans about how to instill the joy of giving, rather than receiving, in her when she's a little older, but for now, we're just trying very hard to be reasonable and frugal with her gifts.
If you're willing to share, I'd love to know how your family keeps from spending an arm and a leg on Christmas. We have family members we shop for, and friends we exchange with. Our list is small in comparison to many friends I've talked with, and we set a definitive budget and stick to it. Sticking to it is the difficult part....especially with Caroline. Remember when I said in an earlier paragraph that I no long wait until after Thanksgiving to shop? Toys R Us had a large sale on Fisher Price toys back in April (I think)...it was buy a toy for $25 or more, and get a $25 or less toy for free. We took advantage of this and spent $30 to get Caroline her "big" Christmas gift and birthday gift. I felt good about it. However, I keep seeing other things in the stores I want to get for her! Aaron (the more frugal minded one in our relationship, although I've come a long way...) patiently reminds me that we've already gotten her gifts. Not only those 2, but we got a couple more things for Caroline and other kiddos in our lives when KB Toys went out of business and slashed their prices. I also take advantage of sales at Books-a-Million. W-O-W can you get some books for cheap there when they've got a good sale going on!
I digress...
I've been using sales and coupons and I'm under budget for Christmas and I'm almost done. I would love hints from any of you about how you save. Some of you are probably a lot better than I am and make gifts. I have no crafty talents whatsoever, except I can make pillowcase dresses, but there's not a huge need for pillowcase dresses on our list of gifts to buy.
Oh! Before I forget....
There are some great Target coupons here. Right now you can get a box of 72 Up and Up baby wipes for $1.29...use the $1 off coupon on this site and get the box for $0.29. I don't usually use Target wipes, but I couldn't pass this deal up. Go and stock up if you can! On that same site are other Target coupons, including some for toys. :)
Sorry for rambling in this post!
for the grandparents...
We've been blessed with some hand-me-down toys and sometimes I save one or two of them and wrap them up for x'mas. (I think I told you about the 4-wheeler we're giving her this year!). For families at church, I'm hot cocoa mix. I always make some kind of treat but this one has been the biggest hit. I can send you the recipe? You just fill up little jars or tins with the mix and people seem to like that. We make a night of it - looking at x'mas lights, visiting those families and delivering the chosen treat of the season. It's inexpensive and I like the emphasis placed on people rather than things. We also save all year for x'mas, make a budget and try to stick to it. Those are my only tips. I know what you mean about wanting to keep buying things for Caroline. I feel that way, too. It helps to give some of my ideas to family members. They like having the ideas and that way I don't feel pressured to buy it. Thank for the holiday card info. I'm excited to check it out!
ReplyDeleteLoved reading this post! In year's past, we've been big on books from the thrift store. Always a hit with our kids!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the coupon link!